Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Paris in passing.

I got to Paris in mid-February with what the French would call a cat in my throat, the kind of voice only a Tom Waits fan could love, and met Louis for a couple of days of sightseeing.


We did important, touristy Paris things. We strolled by the Seine, watched the Eiffel Tower Sparkle, and enjoyed our charmingly cheap hotel. We walked around the Rodin museum and encountered the whole gamut of French waiters. Then we retreated to Besancon for the rest of the week.

For the record, Louis is a pretty ideal travel companion. He's good at dealing with maps and lots of walking. If you are looking for someone to navigate a foreign city with, I would vouch for him. I got him lost in the wilds of rural France, and he was completely unflappable.

Visitors and trips have really saved me while I have lived here. I don't talk about it much, but my day-to-day of life as an expatriate is not glamorous, and it is often stressful, lonely, and difficult. I will always be grateful for the time I have spent in France, but to be truthful, I couldn't have managed it without all the people from home who have made a point of letting me know that I am still loved on the other side of the ocean.

Thank you.

You can see all of Louis's France pictures here.

1 comment:

Smoothieblocker said...

Hey-it's been a month since your last post. Someone of us petits americains need the posts in order to live vicariously through you.