Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Your girl on the run.

This may be the busiest summer of my life- which isn't saying much, of course. I remember when I first entered high school and my mother first insisted on summer jobs. I languished in a hair salon for 30 hours a week for four years- getting my hair chopped and colored and reading gossip magazines. I was the receptionist and shampoo girl, and my disposable income went towards cds and chocolate milkshakes, trips to Chicago and too tight tops at the mall.

My college summers were much in the same lackadaisical vein, and retrospectively, I think that treating them as a luxury, a lazy one, was the right call. Good job, young me.

These days, I am the picture of responsibility. My job eats 45-50 hours of my life each week, and I have started to get overly excited about things like clean laundry and my Netflix.

But your girl has been having a series of adventures this summer, what started with a jaunt to Colorado for my brother's wedding will climax* with a road trip through Maryland and Pennsylvania in two weeks.



To prepare for lengthy periods in the car with Louis, I have placed a few holds on audiobooks at everyone's favorite city library. I'm talking about Atlanta-Fulton County.

You are no doubt wondering about my choices. I won't keep you waiting any longer.

1. Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
A classic that Louis hasn't gotten around to reading- and a particularly good audio recording as I recall. I am excited to rekindle my crush on Ford Prefect- he's one frood who really knows where his towel is.

More than that- this series is summer to me. I have never been one for reciting lines from the Simpson's or 30 Rock. It's not my thing. But I can, on-cue, give you a number of my favorite parts of any of these books. I am that hopeless fangirl, and I have read every scrap of paper that Douglas Adams ever wrote.

2. Summerland - Michael Chabon
Don't judge- I am not some lit scenester who has thrown in with the Chabon groupies. It just sounds so promising, doesn't it? Epic YA fantasy that gets American where Narnia just turned so damn English. Baseball's better than Cricket. No diggity, no doubt.

3. Wind Up Bird Chronicle, or After Dark - Haruki Murakami
It's a question of if we need 27 hours of entertainment or just 5. Murakami will fill the bill either way.

I am more excited for the drive than I ought to be- a veteran of long drives west in my family's minivan- the road trip holds that cliched romance for me. I'll give you a report on my frolicking when I return.

* Seksi.

1 comment:

loveknowsnobounds said...

hey, pennsylvania! i almost live there.