Sunday, September 30, 2007

Settling

I am moved in for all intents and purposes to my spacious, white, empty apartment. It's a good feeling. Right now, I'm sitting outside of the concert hall in Besancon, stinking up the internet, listening to the orchestra rehearse.

So much has happened that I don't even know what to write about anymore. I managed to get to New York, to get to Paris, to get to Besancon. It's been a lot of going and not enough taking things in. I don't have France down at all yet, and French is so taxing. I'd kill something small and slow moving to have my vocabulary in English transfer into French. I would lightly tap a baby seal. I imagine I talk about as well as a seven year old French child. Which is painful, of course. I know I'll get better.

I want to tell you everything. Paris was beautiful and filthy and smelled like a smoker's lounge at an airport. I loved it from the first despite myself. Besancon is like a toy city, small and pretty and easy to get around. I'm sorry I haven't updated in so long. I know this must be frustrating for you, not knowing what's going on. I'm sorry. It's been so exhausting, getting into living abroad this time. I think because of the pressure of paper work and the difficulty of moving everything I need to live on buses. Also, before I had a kitchen, I was eating even worse than I normally do, if you can believe that. Anyway, all I did for the first three days I was in the city was get soaked in the mountain rain, freak out about housing, and sleep. Don't worry. I've been to parties and dried off since then. I even got a ridiculous blue plaid umbrella, and I already had hiking boots.

I'm prepared for any mountain town eventuality.

No comments: